Saturday, October 10, 2009

Getting ready for winter.

Looking for a reason to stop procrastinating? Just look at the boats for sale on Craigs list with cracked blocks. Every year some poor soul doesn't quite get around to winterizing their boat before it freezes. I don't know what boat you have but my little Bayliner (which we love by the way) would be pretty expensive to repower-- probably not a lot more to buy another one new and transfer my electronics.

So with that in mind I lowered the outdrive to let the water drain and put my drain hoses in the bilge to drain the engine. This took me all of five minutes. Mercruiser really makes it easy now.

Another trick is boat repair shops get really busy in the summer. This may not be rocket science but it's pretty easy to get the boat in for preventative maintenance each year during their slow time. Each year I tell Greg my theory about what's wrong with my boat. He listens politely then makes a suggestion which miraculously turns out to be right. I don't know how he does it but after about 800 hours in six years on the little Bayliner he's been real consistent.

One last item to not forget. Top off those tanks and put in the fuel stabilizer.
See you on the water or maybe at the shop. I'll be there with the little Bayliner!

No comments: